I first made this recipe on a night when I didn’t feel like stopping for takeout, didn’t want to go to the grocery store, and knew I didn’t have much going on in my fridge. I was determined to come up with something good using ingredients I already had in my pantry. The jarred sun dried tomatoes were something I bought for a scrapped recipe and ended up never opening them, but they were a delicious addition to this dish. The first night I served the chickpea kale sauté over a baked potato with vegan butter and nooch, which was awesome, but I thought polenta would class it up a bit for this video.
- minced garlic
- julienne sliced sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
- garbanzo beans
- lemon (juice)
- olive oil
- tuscan kale
- salt & dried herbs (if desired)
- start by draining and rinsing chickpeas, then use a fork to partially mash them to your preferred texture. (I aim for about 50% mashed, but it’s not an exact science.)
- sauté desired amount of garlic in a little olive oil, then add chickpeas.
- cook the chickpeas until slightly browned and crispy, stirring as needed.
- add 2-3 forkfuls of sun dried tomatoes.
- add juice from 1/2 or 1 whole lemon.
- sauté for 2-3 more minutes, then add kale.
- cook for 3-5 more minutes, until greens cook down.
- add salt and dried herbs to taste.
- cook polenta according to package instructions, or as preferred.